Vallauris is a commune in the Alpes-Maritimes department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region in southeastern France and has been home to over 100 artisan potters. Picasso moved there and re-invigorated the industry, after the Second World War. Particularly well known for its colourful but practical Culinary Wares. A community of independent potters has existed there since the 17th Century. Pieces are frequently unsigned and are difficult to attribute
Paris Porcelain – Numerous porcelain manufacturers and decorating studios flourished in Paris from the mid eighteenth century until nearly the end of the nineteenth. Competition was tough and the decorating quality was very high, so it was not unusual for the bases of the porcelain to have considerable detail – right down to the address from which more could be purchased!
This example is by M Lerosey who founded this porcelain decorating studio at 11 Rue de la Paix around 1880. Dating between 1880 and 1890, this mark not only shows his name, but also his address at 11 Rue de la Paix. Several Rue de la Paix manufacturers have been identified – Lerosey, himself had several studios along the road – going back over 60 years to around 1820 when he worked with J Rihouet. As one of the earliest studios in the road this one is actually simply known as Rue de la Paix – Lerosey’s earlier mark only differs from the 11 Rue de la Paix example by the number – 7 Rue de la Paix. The following two pictures give an idea of the overall quality of the pieces produced by Lerosey.
For interest – another studio along the Rue de la Paix was Number 18, founded in 1818 by Ferdinand Brunin – He signed his work Ferdind Brunin, rue de la Paix no. 18